Hutch / Cages
The new hutch frame is not complete.
However, it is in a state of functional disarray.
Half of the roof is on. I changed my mind, mostly due to mechanics of the situation, and thus I need another roofing panel. Of course, I made the change after the trip to the hardware store.
I made changes, for mechanics, to the structure, slightly. In doing so, I forgot why I’d had those exact placements. So the cage took forcing into position.
However, the cages are in place, and the first cage has an inhabitant. In the far corner in the above picture, you might barely see a blue tarp? There’s a cage under that, sitting on top of bricks, sitting on top of the lid of the compost bin. That’s the larger of the palomino does. I’d hoped to keep the two together for a little bit longer, but had to makeshift that arrangement the very first night they were here. She’s now in the first cage of the new hutch. That’s got a side protector up and full roofing.
That back corner has been cleared out, and I can do a bit of jiggering to add onto the main hutch frame, to allow for that cage to be hung in line with the others. First I have to cut it down, though, as it’s a 30×36. Not really a loss: that back 6″ of wire is pretty rotted out, anyway.
I may decide to add another support to the front/center of the main structure but I need it left open for now.
For the record: working in a freezing drizzle, with everything coated in a light layer of ice isn’t what I really think of as “fun.” Climbing up on a ladder (to screw down the roofing) that’s got ice on it even less so. Thankfully, I didn’t have any mishaps, just a few scares.
I started the fodder experience about this time last Sunday. The first pound of wheat seed was weighed out and covered in about 2″ of water. That first batch is now coming in at about 4 pounds, 10-11oz. I think it has room to grow a little bit more before being divvied up for animal feed. We’ll see how it is tomorrow.
|Batch||Weight||Day (of growth)|
|#1||4 lb 10.7 oz||6|
|#2||4 lb 0 oz||5|
|#3||3 lb 1.2 oz||4|
|#4||2 lb 12.6 oz||3|
|#5||2 lb 5 oz||2|
|#6||2 lb 5 oz||1|
|#7||2 lb 2 oz||0 – soak finished this morning|
|#8||1 lb||-1 – soaking, est. weight pre-soak|
I don’t have weights previous to this. For some reason, I hadn’t really thought about it. I had measured out what was a pound of seed with the container I’m using for scooping, and that was it.
It will be interesting to see how the batches that started with the LED are different or not in final mass. They visually appear to be greener and further along in development. Guess we’ll see if that’s shown through with the data.
Visually, “about doubled” is right for the seeds post a 24 hour soak, so I’m glad to see the weight reading is close to that. The first batch wasn’t quite doubled with the 8-10 hour soak. The first two days of growth show no real change — by day 2, you can start seeing a few adventurous seeds peeking about, but the growth really starts happening on day 3. There, we see a 7.6 ounce change in weight. I’m not quite sure why there’s only 4.6 ounces of change between days 3 and 4. I even re-weighed it to be sure that reading was correct. However, then it cranks up to a 14.8 oz gain the next day, and a 10.7 oz gain the day after.
It will be beneficial to keep track of the weight changes per-batch, as well.